Goals and Objectives
The primary purpose of the camp is to introduce young women to careers as first responders. The camp will aim to provide information, inspiration, education and opportunities to experience the physical demands, thereby allowing a more accurate perception of what it takes to act in these roles. The ultimate goal is that young women will leave with a sense of empowerment and the confidence to believe that they can achieve any goal, career or dream they desire.
Camp Courage core values are:
- respect – for self and others, treat yourself how you would treat someone else and treat someone else how they would treat you
- responsibility – take 100% responsibility for our actions, we can’t control all circumstances but we can control our reactions to the circumstances
- honesty – is the only foundation in which lasting relationships can build
- empathy/compassion – the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experiences of another
- commitment to constant improvement – always try our hardest, exceed expectations, eventually it will pay off
- positive attitude – “Our attitudes propel us forward toward our victories or bog us down in defeat. Our attitudes make us rich or poor, happy or unhappy, fulfilled or incomplete. They are the single most determining factor in every action we will ever make. We and our attitudes are inextricably combined; we are our attitudes and our attitudes are us.” Helmstetter – maintain a positive attitude
- work hard – hard work helps us realize our potential, helps us face up to life’s challenges, makes us feel good, builds character, earns respect of others, earns self respect, adds meaning to our life, gets best results and is healthy for us.
- courage – the courage to stand up for the hard right over the easy wrong, the courage to stand up for ourselves, the courage to dream the biggest, most exciting dreams, and the courage to believe in ourselves
“We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.” Winston Churchill
Note: Opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of the Halifax Regional Municipality, Halifax Regional Police, RCMP, Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency Service, EHS nor EMC.